Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Fort Chip research

I'm not sure if any of you have directly looked into the stats of how many people in Fort Chip are affected by this or have cancer. I was really surprised when I read this research paper by the number of people affected by this. According to that paper overall there was 51 cancers found within 47 individuals when it was only expected to be 39 cancers. They found many different cancer cases such as Cholangiocarcinoma (cancer of the bile ducts), biliary tract cancers, and colon cancers, cancers of the blood and lymphatic system, lung cancer and soft tissue cancer. When I was reading all this information I was astonished that government officials were not putting all their effort into trying to affect or change this at all. It makes me think that the government doesn't care as much as they say they do.

4 comments:

  1. Doesn't it just make you want to do something about it! It's too much for me to even start talking about at times. It makes my blood boil and I realize that my negative energy only gives this situation more fuel so I'm trying to keep my cool. The only thing that I know for certain about the situation is this... THE GOVERNMENT COULDN'T CARE LESS ABOUT THE WELL BEING OF THE PEOPLE AFFECTED BY THE OILSANDS OF NORTHERN ALBERTA. That's what I know for sure because they have yet to address the situation whole heartedly. Why would they, it cuts into their budget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Dawn. The government isn't concerned about the well being of the people, they are more interested in their revenues. I have a good friend thats from there and has lost many friends and family because of this. It is a huge impact on a small community when everyone is so close and they are constantly losing members of their community. If the oilsands were affecting their families directly, the goverment wouldn't allow the oilsands to be in operation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read the study paper, it seems that the cancer rating is getting higher and higher. This really makes me sick and disgusted with the government who does not involve in anything to make it better. I agree with Dawn that government is not acting actively because it just cause government a lot of headache and it just cuts their budget as Dawn said already. I saw that this also affects the environment pollution and I am starting to concern with drinking water at sink. The government should think of those effect and concern more to prevent the operation in oilsand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so unfortunate that the government’s deeds do not match their words. This is what has lead to people not trusting those that the vote into office.
    Regardless of the amount of revenue that the oil sands bring in they should not have free reign. I understand that the government can put this money to good use by funding social programs, and charging fewer taxes to its people, but if it is harming the people in exchange it is not worth it. Instead the government should be tightening its environmental controls before they know if they are the cause or not. It is not healthy for the environment or the people around the oil sands to have all those toxins released into the watershed.

    ReplyDelete